White Day 2: Swan Song (Hangul: 화이트데이 2: 스완송 ; RR: hwaiteudei: seuwansong) formerly known overseas as The School 2: Swan Song[note 1][note 2], is an upcoming first-person survival horror video game and is the sequel to the White Day Remake.
Story-wise, it serves as a prequel to "White Day" and is the second main installment in the White Day series and the third title in the franchise.
It was announced in 2015 and is currently under development exclusively for PlayStation 4 (PSVR) by Sonnori (formerly known as ROI Games) on the Unreal Engine 4 and was originally targeted for a 2018 Release date in Korea.
- 1 Plot
- 2 Characters
- 3 Locations
- 4 Gameplay
- 5 Development
- 6 Gallery
- 7 Further notes
- 8 External links
- 9 References
July 1995 Yeondu High School. Students committing suicide with a mysterious song. For each reason, six female students at school. Sad and cold horror that swam that night. White Day, the second story (Logo Reveal) [excerpt 1]
A suspension order is issued to Yeondu High School, where a series of suicide attempts occurred.
Students sneak into a night school where no one can enter.
You have to find a way to survive with them in line with the warning of the coming death.
Only the sound of the interrogation before death comes is the only clue to escape.
The secrets of the song must be solved and the school must be safely exited.
However… The hidden person among them has no idea to open the door easily ... [excerpt 2]
Due to the serial suicide incident, a temporary school closure order is issued at the Yeondu High School.
A few students sneak into the school at night where no one can enter. You must find a way to survive with girls against the of the upcoming death.
Before death comes, only the mysterious song is the only clue to the escape. You must unlock the secret of the song and leave school safely.
But... A person hidden among the girls has no intention of opening the door easily.[excerpt 3]
6 Students, a male senior student and 5 female students, enter the school in the middle of the night to uncover the secret related to the death and suicide of several students and friends and a mysterious song.
This section requires expansion. You can help The School: White Day Wiki by expanding it.
Five characters were revealed including the main heroine and the protagonist, though the identity of the protagonist wasn't revealed.
- Song Jin-woo: The Protagonist, who has voice acting this time (Korean voice actor: 디도)
- Kang Seo-yeon (강서연): Sweet Girl
- Bak So-eun (박소은): Glasses Girl.
- Lee Yoo-ri (이유리): The main heroine, she is a student of Yeondu High School at the time of the events.
- Han Se-gyeong (한세경): Popular Girl
- Yun Si-a (윤시아): Loyal Girl
Because the game is set 6 years before the first game, thus taking place in 1995, Yeondu High School will be different:
- The basement and 4th floor of the Main Building & outside of the building will be accessible (they were locked in 2001 / in the first game).
- Much like the 1st floor, the 2nd floor of Main Building 1 has a double glass door that leads to a small balcony (which was probably removed for plot-related reasons in the first game; possibly due to suicide cases).
It's been revealed that the game will follow its predecessor in terms of gameplay but with major changes to the UI (user interface) designed for VR and the removal of the running ability. Both of these features have been adapted to reduce chances of suffering from a simulation sickness while playing the game.
When it was announced at 2016 G-Star, it was introduced as 'a casual game consisting of several short stages'. However, The developers changed their minds by playing a VR version of a recently released horror game in overseas and Changed the scenario style like a general package game.
Originally announced in 2015 and showcased in teaser as "White Day PSVR" running on the PlayStation 4 (PSVR), showing the actual remake running with PSVR Capability, the teaser shows the janitor following Lee Hui-min as Seol Ji-hyun is grabbed by Hui-min and both hiding in the registration room, eventually she turns into the Spider Ghost where the teaser ends.
Announcement and reset
In May 10, 2016, White Day: Swan Song was officially revealed in Sony Computer Entertainment Korea's PlayStation Developer Conference 2016, where a teaser trailer was shown along with information disclosed of the characters in the game, the main heroine and features of the game system.
Developers said that it would be difficult to fit existing scenarios (White Day Remake) into VR play, So they changed scenarios.
It's been revealed that the UI would be adapted for VR and the running feature was disabled/removed to prevent virtual reality sickness. 5 characters were revealed including a main heroine, though the identity of the protagonist wasn't revealed, assumed to be a male protagonist making up a total of 6 main characters. Korean Photographer Rotta was also revealed to be on the development team and he will photograph "real life" female models for them to make the female characters.
In July 28, 2016, the game's English title ( The School: Swan Song ) was announced in PS VR Asia Conference 2016. It was given a tentative release date of 2016 Q4.
The first playable tech demo of the game was exhibited in Ani-Com & Games (ACG) Hong Kong 2016.
G-Star 2016 Demo
In November 17, 2016, The Demo version of The School: Swan Song was exhibited in G-Star 2016 (Video game trade show in Korea) and New information was announced. The game was revealed to be running on the Unreal Engine 4 (unlike it's predecessor which ran on the Unity Engine) and a new place was shown to be explorable in Yeondu High School which are pretty much the locked basement and outside the building in the previous game and a new game-play feature was revealed. It was also given a new release date of 2017.
The game was later renamed to "White Day 2: Swan Song" internationally and in Korea, ditching the localized title "The School" in favor of the original name, and flipping the swan to appear as the number "2" - as it was in the old localized title.
It is rumored that developed on the game halted indefinitely due to the allegations imposed on photographer ROTTA being involved in a sexual harassment incident, although the accuracy of these rumors must be verified and if it had any implication on the game's development at all.
Suspend Swansong project and announced New projects
In November 2019, it was unofficially reported that the 'Swan Song' project was suspended through a post from the fan community of Korea. On March 13, 2021, a new notice was announced at 10:00 PM, the same time that Hee-Min entered the school building 20 years ago. The new notice was 'the new title of the White Day 2' and teaser video. The new title is WHITE DAY 2 : the flower that tell lies ( 화이트데이 2 : 거짓말하는 꽃 ).
- In the conceptual teaser trailer revealed at G-Star 2015 Korea event, the running feature was still present and the teaser demo was merely based on the remake.
- ROI Games openly stated that "White Day did not meet overseas sales expectations. So we prepared to release it on Steam" and currently, "Swan Song" is expected to be released in Korea and any release in other countries aren't known.
- Though initially, any possibility of oversea releases were excluded from ROI's targeted audience, but in ACGHK 2016 they announced the western title of the game: "The School: Swan Song" and had a VR demo for people to play, no actual footage was released to the public. It is likely they changed their mind following the release of the remake on Steam (PC) and PS4.
- The first logo of the game was revealed in 2016 and had a Swan shaped like an S. The second one, which was the English/Global logo "The School: Swan Song" had the Swan in the back mirrored and shaped to look like number "2" which may be intentional. Later in 2017, the new Korean and international title and logo was announced to be White Day 2: Swan Song, with the Swan looking like number "2" as in the second/English logo. This could possibly be due to this site (being the first) and fans referring to it as White Day 2 and/or for naming convenience.
- In August 2017, as the official Korean site for White Day: Swan Song went up, the new Korean variation logo (White Day 2: Swan Song) was up this time with the swan mirrored and placed after "White Day" to look like number "2" as opposed to older versions of the logo.
- This is the first sequel to White Day / The School, the second major release being a remake of the first game.
- This is the third time in a row in the White Day/The School franchise that a new engine is used. First being Wang Real, then Unity, then Unreal Engine 4.
- In the PC/PS4 version of White Day's Remake, players can find some clues related to this game (White Day 2: Swan Song), such as Kim Ji-won's diary document: 1995.12.15 in addition to other documents.
- Korean Source:화이트데이, 차기작 스완송 아닌 '화이트데이 2'. Ruliweb (August 21, 2017). “White Day Sequel name, changed from 'White Day:Swan song' to 'White Day 2:Swan song' ”
- Korean Source:(뉴스) 화이트데이와 함께 돌아온 '손노리', 이원술 대표를 만나다. Inven (August 21, 2017). “[News] 'Sonnori' returned with White Day' meet the CEO Lee Won-sool”
- White Day 2: Swan Song announced for PS4. Gematsu (August 20, 2017 EDT).
- 화이트데이 VR ‘Swan Song’, 정보 공개! (May 10, 2016). “White Day VR 'Swan Song' information disclosed!”
- New Details on PlayStation VR Exclusive White Day Revealed. VRfocus. “A new name, amongst other things.”
- Whiteday PlayStation VR Teaser Official
- Souppouris, Aaron (November 4, 2015). Cult horror game 'White Day' is coming to PSVR. Engadget. Retrieved on 5 December 2015.
- Romano, Sal (November 3, 2015). Romantic horror adventure game White Day announced for PlayStation VR. Gematsu. Retrieved on 5 December 2015.
- Gunship Battle 2 VR, Hellgate VR, and White Day: Swan Song announced for PlayStation VR. Gematsu. “New VR games from Korea.”
- PlayStation VR Asia Conference JULY 2016
- (White Day: Swan Song) First Demo play and Hong Kong VR Conference News. White Day Official Facebook page.
- White Day 2: Swan Song announced for PS4. Gematsu. “2016-announced title re-revealed as numbered sequel.”
- White Day Sequel Re-Emerges As White Day 2: Swan Song. PlayStation Lifestyle.
- The previously English titled ( The School: Swan Song ) was introduced in the PS VR Asia Conference on July 28th.
- The swan song is a metaphorical phrase for a final gesture, effort, or performance given just before death or retirement.
- 1995년7월연두고등학교. 의문의노래와함께자살하는학생들. 각자의이유로학교에있던6명의여학생. 그날밤엄습하는슬프고도차가운공포. 화이트데이,그두번째이야기. (Site opening intro text)
- 연쇄자살소동이벌어진연두고등학교에휴교령이내려진다.아무도출입할수없는밤의학교에학생들이몰래숨어든다.당신은다가오는죽음의예고에맞서그녀들과살아남을방법을찾아야한다. 죽음이찾아오기전의문의노랫소리만이탈출을위한유일한단서가된다.노래의비밀을풀고무사히학교를빠져나가야한다.하지만…그녀들사이에숨은이는쉽게문을열어줄생각이없다… (excerpt from the official site)
연쇄 자살소동이 벌어진 연두고등학교에 휴교령이 내려진다.
아무도 출입할 수 없는 밤의 학교에 학생들이 몰래 숨어든다.
당신은 다가오는 죽음의 예고에 맞서 그녀들과 살아남을 방법을 찾아야 한다. 죽음이 찾아오기 전 의문의 노랫소리만이 탈출을 위한 유일한 단서가 된다.
노래의 비밀을 풀고 무사히 학교를 빠져 나가야 한다.
하지만…그녀들 사이에 숨은 이는 쉽게 문을 열어줄 생각이 없다…
화이트데이 : 스완송 (August 21, 2017).